Monday, November 29, 2010

so ends a SUPER trip

Well, the suitcases are packed. The postcards are written, and Delta's already sending emails that it's "time to check in." You know what that means - we head home tomorrow. Though it's been a beautiful trip, I am definitely ready to get back to a part of the country where people are actually paying attention when Auburn comes back from 24 down to beat Alabama in the Iron Bowl. It seems to me that Hawaiians aren't all that interested in football. This is probably owing to the fact that there's a five hour time difference, so, by the time the noon games kick off in the East, folks are just waking up over here. They're more concerned with breakfast than whether or not Kentucky will drop to Tennessee - FOR THE 26th YEAR IN A ROW (they will, it pains me to say). It's either that - or the massive distraction of Captain Cook's swimming pool.

That's how we spent most of today, in fact. Well, that's how we spent the part of today that came after church and yet another meal - this time, breakfast - in Lahaina. Those who know about Super Payton will be glad to learn that this breakfast entailed the creation of the story in which we learn how "a little girl named Aunta" became "Super Aunta." This happens whenever we go to a restaurant. Payton wants the two of us to write a Super Payton story. Wait a minute. Let me get more specific - he writes the story; I just write it down. Typically, he draws the pictures and tells me what to write under them. This pattern goes back to before he could write. Why in the world he hasn't realized that, at a very well read 9 whose IQ probably overshoots mine by double digits, he has the autonomy to write these stories even when I'm not around, I do not know, but that's the way these stories started to be written, and, five years later, that's how they continue to be.

But not today. Today, Super Aunta decided she wanted some autonomy. With the blessing (and hawkish oversight) of super-ior Payton, I set out to write my own backstory. Payton sat beside me the entire time, munching on a Mickey Mouse-shaped pancake and telling me over and over, "Be sure you mention me. Be sure you mention me. How about Super Payton flies in in the next scene?" The result is ... well, please take note of Frame Five. Yeah. Maybe Aunta isn't yet Super enough for complete autonomy.

To be honest, though, of all the things we've done on this terrific trip - snorkeling, sailing, summiting Haleakala - it's moments like these that I'll remember most. Writing Super Payton stories, swapping secrets with Lizzie Gray, tricking Camden into thinking I bought candy for everyone but him, and convincing Lila that the answer to "Whose girl are you?" is ALWAYS "Aunta's girl" (I take her on dates) and NEVER "Camden's girl" (he tells her fairy tales) - these are cerebral snapshots that I'll always remember. Maui, then, became the elaborately beautiful stage on which we performed the play of being a family, making memories out of mundane moments that you sometimes have to travel across the planet to fully appreciate.

Now that I have a "super" cape, I should be able to make the trips a lot more quickly.

Aloha from Maui, and Mele Kalikimaka! More to follow from my home sweet South Cackalackey ...

3 comments:

  1. So wonderful. These are the memories that will last a lifetime. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, CL:) And thanks for reading! I'm always humbled by the input of a writer I respect as much as I do you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hawaiians care very little for about anything that happens mainland...for the obvious reasons that they are islanders. And lonely islanders, at that. They have no threats from the east, save maybe those political...and their attention is always west, where tragedy seems to arrise and spreads toward them at tsunami speed. But, I assure you---Hawaiians LOVE football...deeply and abundantly! :) Just check out this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MREKsMPUdcg
    You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete