Sunday, January 27, 2013

Broadway Peace Talks

Do you ever have those moments in your life when you just take a deep breath and wonder, "What did I do to be so blessed?!"

These moments in my life have been many. God has been beyond good to me, doing, as He promised, "exceedingly, abundantly more than I could ask or think." Precious husband. Healthy son. Passion for the Winningest Team in College Basketball History

If you ask me, I've got everything I need!

One of these "Wow!" moments came last spring in the form of an invitation to speak before each musical in the 2012-2013 Certus Broadway Series at the Peace Center in Greenville. When offered the gig, I had to clarify before accepting. "Hold up," I said. "You're telling me I get to prepare and present  a chat about musical theatre to people who choose to be there? AND THERE'S NO GRADING INVOLVED?!

The theatre professor in me has achieved Utopia.

I say all that to say, we'd love to see you there! The talks are held at 6:30 p.m. on the Wednesday nite of each show's run, and the public is welcome whether or not they're planning to attend the show.

So join us: next up this season is Billy Elliott (Feb. 13), followed by The Blue Man Group (May 8), and, Daddy's favorite, Jersey Boys (July 17). Each session is different - but it generally entails some form of historical background about the show, and, sometimes, a Q&A with members of the cast. On very rare occasions, I may even sing a bar or two of the score.

I get giddy just thinking about it ... and NOT just because there's no grading involved!

4 comments:

  1. Hush, Brookie - but thanks:) Doing these talks is definitely one of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could be there! I do think the audience would also enjoy a bar or two of "Ice, Ice Baby"...
    Very proud of you and happy for you. SOOOO cool to see the Dr. in front of your name. (although had you followed our plan, it would say, Kristin Stultz Pressley, Esq.)

    CONGRATS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No reason why we can't just add the "Esq." to it. That's just what the world needs - more charlatan lawyers!

    ReplyDelete