Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Much to Celebrate

Today, I turn 35.

Thirty.

FIVE...

... as in, the age my mother was when I was 9.

... as in, the age when NBA players - the lucky ones whose careers aren't cut short - RETIRE.

... as in, halfway to 70 and a whole lot closer to 40 than I ever imagined I'd be.

The funny thing is, though, I don't feel a day over 16. In fact, I fully expect half my high school to show up later tonite for a Sam's Club sheet cake and a rousing round of Bigger or Better.

Flag football, it turns out, is made all the
more exhilerating when the "field" is
full of groundhog-style holes. Just ask
my brother-in-law!
If they're coming though, they really should've been here Saturday nite.  That's when the party was. Jeremy invited his family, my family, and my friend Leslie over for a bash that included three flavors of homemade ice cream, a pick-up flag football game, and, in honor of Derby Day, some non-alcoholic Mint Juleps that tasted WAY better than the real thing.

Does this picture make
anyone else think:
"Cinderelly, Cinderelly,
Night and day,
it's Cinderelly..."?
The evening also included floors, freshly mopped by my industrious niece, Lizzie Gray. She spent the nite Friday and was, apparently, ashamed at the state of my mop-able surfaces, which is not surprising, because so was I. I knew she was bothered, though, when, halfway through her first Pop-Tart on Saturday, she was begging me to turn off Zeke & Luther and let her mop those floors.

Her wish is my command.

Huntybun knows what
her Aunta likes!
I'll stop right here and say this for my sister: I don't know what she's feeding those children of hers, but I sure wish she'd bottle it up.

Anyway, while Lizzie Gray whitewashed every piece of tile and slab of linoleum in the house, Jeremy was tending to the grill. He made the barbecue; our mothers cooked the sides; sisters came through with other odds and ends, and Lila, as you can see, brought the centerpiece. All I had to do was show up and celebrate, and that's exactly what I did.

I celebrated a husband thoughtful enough to not only plan the event but to also spend hours prepping food and pulling weeds before the big day came. I celebrated a family wonderful enough to spend a nite hanging out at my house, and I celebrated a knowledge that, at "Thirty.FIVE," I can finally say that there's not a thing about my life that I would change. 

"I will sing to the Lord, because He has dealt bountifully with me."

______________________________________________________________________

"Change" is actually a great way to describe going ons at the Pressleys' place - birthdays, too, now that I think of it. Come sometime around November 5th, Jeremy and I will be experiencing the birth day of our first baby, and man, will things change then!

As you can see by this picture,
Jeremy and I are just a few months away
from becoming the proud parents of
what appears to be a manatee.
Since finding out about the baby several weeks ago, we've been referring to him / her as "Biscuit," my thinking being that, if I'm gonna have anything "in the oven," I'd WAY rather it be a Biscuit than a "Bun." That to say, don't be confused if you start reading here about a "Biscuit."

Whether it's a boy or a girl, names have been picked; nursery decors have been decided, and, most importantly, a first Disney trip has been added to the family travel plan.

Between now and then, I'm just gonna show up and celebrate.

"... my cup overflows." - Psalm 23:5c



6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the birthday AND the biscuit!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Glad you are back to blogging. I needed more to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Kristin & Jeremy! So happy & excited for you! That's one Biscuit I can't wait to meet! :) Happy belated birthday, too, JKSP!
    ~jada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jada! I can't wait to meet Biscuit, either! 25 more weeks, give or take, though we may find out boy or girl next week, if s/he cooperates:)

      Happy birthday to you, too! Will be here before you know it:)

      Delete