Friday, May 11, 2012

Soapbox and Then Some

I really do want to blog more.

Much as I love my Cats, there are about 6,000 things I'd
rather my child wear to her first UK game then a blue and
white tutu - a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist jersey comes to mind
or, maybe, a hand-knitted Anthony Davis unibrow cap.
What I don't want is to blog too much.  Apparently, with children comes the temptation to put up a post every time your child, say, wears a new hairbow or FINALLY makes it home from Chick-Fil-A without having a total meltdown, or, maybe, when you just wants to show off the (tacky-looking) collegiate-colored tutu you scored on Zulilly last week.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm diplomatically resisting the urge to include links to posts like these (bless my heart), but suffice it to say that none of these blogs belong to any friends of mine.  That to say, if you start to wonder if I'm talking about you, I'm NOT.  No one that I know personally does this.  I'm talking about the type of blog written, for the most part, by well-intentioned women who inexplicably have time to write multiple entries each day about the crippling minutae of life with toddlers who would, I'm betting, be exponentially better behaved if Mama would break free from Blogger to do a little disciplining.  But, then again, if Baby were behaved, what would Mama blog about - besides, of course, hairbows and tutus.

Now THAT'S something to
blog about!
To these women - who shall remain nameless but whose inane posts have gotten the better of me on more than one occasion - I say what Neal Page said to Del Griffith:

"Here's a good idea: HAVE A POINT. It makes it so much more interesting for the listener!"

Now that I'm off my soapbox, I can get to the point of today's post. Trust me, it isn't to brag about Biscuit's hairbows. Today, I want to boast on the God Who, even now, is knitting her (or, for my husband's sake, him) together in my womb.

Perhaps the most amazing part of pregnancy so far has been experiencing Psalm 139 in a whole new way. Parts of the passage have always been some of my favorites in the Bible - God wrote my days and knows my thoughts and hems me in? "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me ...!"

Other parts of it didn't really make sense, though, until I read them in light of this video. In case you can't tell - and trust me, I couldn't, either, had my sister-in-law-the-midwife not explained it - it's Biscuit, at 10 weeks in utero, practicing what I hope are the steps to the South Carolina Shag. To me, s/he looks like a toad / chipmunk / manatee who's about to walk on the moon.

See for yourself.



As I watched this clip for the 3,000th time, though, I thought about another part of Psalm 139:

"Your eyes saw my unformed substance."

"That's what that is!" I shouted in the midst of my "Eureka!" moment. What looks like an essentially shapeless blob of baby is what the psalmist called "unformed substance." However "unformed" it may look, though, the great Creator is molding and shaping and crafting my child into precisely the person He means His Biscuit to be. "My frame was not hidden from You when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth," David writes.  

What incredible knowledge to know that the God Who works in me is, already, at work in my child and that the child who is hidden from the rest of the world is completely seen and fully known by the God Who is making him (or, for my sake, her).

___________________________________________

Now, I know it's not a picture of her first hairbow, but still. Raise your hand, if you'd like to hear Biscuit's heartbeat.

Me, too. 

Here it is - our baby's mighty ticker at 8 weeks old.



"I praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works; my soul knows it very well." 
___________________________________________

Oh, and while we're talking baby headgear - there's a chance we'll know next Wednesday whether we'll be buying hairbows of ballcaps. Cross your fingers that Biscuit lets us get a clean look!

7 comments:

  1. HOW EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is going to be the luckiest baby in the world. It gets to have you and Jeremy as parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks:) but to be honest, I feel like the lucky one! So glad God's added this manatee to our family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw, can't wait until you're writing posts like this:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. KRISTIN!!! YAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!! :D I am SO excited for you! So glad I popped in here to catch up on your life. I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering if you might be pregnant one of these days soon. YAY! So happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danielle! We are so excited - how are your babies doing? Hope all is well!

      Delete
    2. They are all doing well. Just got back from the beach and the older ones went to Greenville with my parents. Korban is getting so big and mobile now! We are just loving having him around! Something special about having another after so long. When's your big due date? Keep me in the loop! I assume someone is planning a shower sometime?

      Delete
    3. Did you go to Hilton Head? The baby is due on November 5th, so I'm right at 4 months along and suddenly - I mean, SUDDENLY - popped out yesterday morning. There is definitely a baby in there now :) As for a shower, I'm sure there will be something at some point! Will definitely keep you posted - I am seriously trying to blog more. I just have trouble thinking anyone cares about what I have to write, but I really do enjoy the writing of it :)

      See you soon!

      Delete